With rising bills and the cost of living, this Christmas period is going to be even more tough than usual for many people.
If you’re coming to a gig at Band on the Wall this Christmas, could you pop a tin of beans in your handbag or a bar of soap in your pocket?
While the festive season brings joy to many, for others it can be a time of real difficulty.
Every Christmas we collect items for Manchester’s homeless and those suffering in poverty, supporting local charity Mustard Tree. When people are in crisis, Mustard Tree are there to offer food, clothing and other provisions.
In the run-up to Christmas, Mustard Tree urgently needs donations of items such as biscuits, coffee, packet soups and pasta, tinned goods and personal hygiene items.
So if you feel able and comfortable, please do bring along whatever you can and pop it in the donations flight case to be found by the Christmas tree in our bar. Every donation, however small, will make a massive help to those in need in our community this winter season.
Here’s some suggestions for what you might want to donate, if you are able to do so:
Dried, packets and cartons
• Coffee, milk (powdered and UHT) and sugar
• Custard and rice pudding
• Instant mashed potato
• Packet soup, pasta and pasta sachets, pot noodles and rice (incl. bagged and flavoured)
Tins (preferably ones with ring pulls)
• Beans, pulses and lentils
• Cooking sauces, soups and tinned tomatoes
• Curry (chicken, beef, vegetarian)
• Fish (tuna, sardines etc.)
• Fruits, vegetables and potatoes
• Meat (ham, chicken, sausages, hot dogs)
• Pasta (ravioli and spaghetti)
Personal hygiene items
• Body wash and liquid soap
• Toilet roll and wipes
• Deodorant (roll-on is best)
• Sanitary towels and tampons
• Toothbrushes and toothpaste
• Travel size mouthwashes, shampoo and conditioners and body wash
• Combs and hairbrushes.